The Santa Monica Arts Parents Association (SMAPA) supports cultural arts in elementary, middle and high schools that are part of the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District and located in the city of Santa Monica, by providing funding and assistance for students participating in the band, orchestra, choir, dance, theatre and visual arts programs. Funds donated to a specific program are given solely to that program.
We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, Tax ID #95-2563339
SMAPA Participating Programs include the Santa Monica High School (Samohi) Band Program, Samohi Dance Program, Samohi Orchestra Program, Samohi Theatre Program, Samohi Visual Arts Program, and Samohi Vocal Music Program. Each Participating Program has the authority to operate independently, including the authority to elect officers, conduct meetings necessary to manage its activities, and raise and disburse funds for its own purposes. Each Participating Program maintains its own books and records, and prepares an annual budget and reports to the SMAPA Board.
SMAPA also assists with fundraising activities for SMMUSD Elementary Music, John Adams Middle School, and Lincoln Middle School Visual and Performing Arts programs.
Board of Directors
The SMAPA Board of Directors includes one Representative from each of the Participating Programs and two Officers – the President and the Treasurer – who also serve as Directors. Directors are ratified by a vote of the members present at the annual General Meeting. Directors serve in a voluntary capacity and receive no compensation, other than reimbursement for expenses. A Director may serve concurrent terms as a Representative and Officer.
Each Director serves for a two-year term and may be designated to serve no more than two consecutive terms.
2020-21 SMAPA Board of Directors:
- President – Lydia Muraro
- Treasurer – Alisa Stewart
- Band Rep. – Gavin DiMundo, Band President
- Dance Rep. – Alex Hernandez
- Orchestra Rep. – Fred Zimmerman
- Theatre Rep. – Ric Levis-Fitzgerald, Theatre Treasurer
- Visual Arts Rep. – Jeanne Le Blanc
- Vocal Music Rep. – Erin Inatsugu, Choral Steering Committee President
- 2019-20: Lydia Muraro (Pres), Deborah Nadel (Treas, Orchestra Rep), Melissa Tarsky (Band), Richard Levis-Fitzgerald (Theatre) Sheila Hume (Visual Arts), Erin Inatsugu (Vocal Music)
- 2018-19: Mia von Sadovszky (Pres), Tina Ogata (Treas), Jeff Jarow (Band), Barbara VanArsdell (Orch), Richard Levis-Fitzgerald (Theatre), Sheila Hume (VisArts), Erin Inatsugu (Vocal Music)
- 2017-18: Mia von Sadovszky (Pres), Alisa Stewart (Treas), Jeff Jarow (Band), Barbara VanArsdell (Orch), Joan Krenik (Theatre), Charlene Nakamura (VisArts), Erin Inatsugu (Vocal Music)
- 2016-17: Cynthia Pinkos (Pres), Alisa Stewart (Treas), Marcy Hardart (Band), Nicole Bethurum (Dance), Dorie Meek (Orch), Charlene Nakamura (Theatre & VisArts), Patti Braun (Vocal Music)
- 2015-16: Cynthia Pinkos (Pres), Alisa Stewart (Treas), Marcy Hardart (Band), Nicole Bethurum (Dance), Dorie Meek (Orch), Charlene Nakamura (Theatre), Patti Braun (Vocal)
- 2014-15: Nicole Bethurum, Patti Braun, Marcy Hardart, Delia Lopez, Charlene Nakamura, Cynthia Pinkos, Helga Schier, Alisa Stewart
- 2013-14: Patti Braun, Marcy Hardart, Delia Lopez, Cynthia Pinkos, Helga Schier, Alisa Stewart
- 2012-13: Mort Bernstein, Jane Bordal, Cheryl Clark, Nancy Cohen, Hermas Lassalle, Karen Safrit, Helga Schier, Mimi Winship
- 2011-12: Mort Bernstein, Doreen Gelfand, Tracy Hom, Nancy Kane, Nancy Mansfield, Patricia Payro-Freeman, Cyndy Turnage
Click on the link to read or download: Bylaws of Santa Monica Arts Parents Association.